While I am not a fan of juicing or liquid fasts, and feel that our bodies are intended to “chew” our nutrients, I do see the health benefits of substituting one “solid” meal a day for a healthy smoothie. The purpose of drinking a meal is to give your organs and digestive system a rest, which is why a smoothie is the perfect breakfast antidote after a heavy dinner or big night out…
Fab Five…Building the perfect smoothie.
1. Start with 20g. of organic vegan protein powder (no whey or soy protein please).
2. Add 10g. of fiber— ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, ground psyllium husk, etc.
3. GREENS!—1 or 2 big handfuls of kale, spinach, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, or even Romaine lettuce.
4. Fruit— 1/4 or 1/3 frozen banana and 1/2 cup frozen berries, such as blueberries, cherries, pineapple, mango, peaches or strawberries.
5. Healthy fats—1 tbsp. Almond or Peanut Butter, 1 Tbsp. Coconut or Flax seed oil, or 1/4-1/2 ripe avocado.
Add 8oz. of liquid—unsweetened Almond Milk, Coconut water, or just plain H2O and a few ice cubes.
Feel free to add 1 Tbsp. of Cacao Powder which is not only a “superfood”, but will also give the smoothie a wonderful chocolate flavor.
You may have had smoothies in the past which have left you starving in an hour, and even headachy or weak. My guess is that they were loaded with fruit, vanilla yogurt (some chains even use FroYo!), orange juice, and used no protein powder. This is truly a meal in a glass! Enjoy!