That was not to be confused with the famous Michael Douglas line, “Greed is good!” But I did love the movie “Wall Street”. There are so many great brands of hummus available in grocery stores, but it’s also super simple to make and so fun to try new add-ins, and make it “your own”. Sometimes I swap out chickpeas for cannellini beans–which are even higher in protein, use a LOT of lemon (who doesn’t need some Vitamin C?), add some cumin for a smoky flavor, and a big handful of spinach. Baby spinach turns the hummus a vibrant green and ramps up the iron, fiber, and Vitamins A, B, and C.
Breakfast and lunch should always include protein, but it doesn’t have to involve eggs or grilled chicken every day. Plant based protein like beans are high in several nutrients and contain insoluble fiber. Animal protein has NO fiber. You just found the perfect spread for your toast!
Green Goddess Hummus
• 1-15 oz can chickpeas or cannellini beans (drained with liquid reserved)
• 1/4 cup bean liquid or more, as needed
• 1/4 cup tahini
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• ½-1 cup baby spinach
• 1 lemon juiced
• 1 tsp minced garlic (can add more!)
• ½ tsp cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Add all the ingredients to your Vitamix blender and secure the lid. Remove the lid to scrape the sides as needed, and re-blend.
2. Add more liquid, if desired, for creamier hummus.